måndag 24 november 2014

Winter is coming - I have knitted a sweater!

 
This is rare. The last time I knitted a sweater was in 1988 when I was working in Germany and had lots of spare time on my hands during periods of performances and no rehearsals. I find sweaters a bit daunting since they are big projects. I avoid knitting them, but I really like wearing them.
I started this sweater a couple of years ago but did not find "the flow" in the knitting. It all started as an exercise in making sweater patterns (measuring, counting stitches, making swatches, finding technical solutions and hopefully also giving it my own "twist"). I had a lot of old 4-ply wool that I thought I cold make use of (grey - my favourite colour). It is knitted in the round with steeks. I knitted about half of the body and them I just stopped .... About a year ago I decided to finish it because I somehow knew that I would like it when it was finished, but it has been slow progress until a couple of weeks ago. Then I decided that this was it - now or never.
Since I am very partial to twined knitting I incorporated that technique in my design. The cast-on and "hem" is in twined knitting, as well as the shoulders, neck and the finish of the sleeves. The sleeves are knitted in the round from the shoulders down. It is a thick and sturdy sweater (1250 grams) and it sure is warm enough if we get a cold winter this year. Having finished it I am very pleased, and have decided that I will not wait 26 more years before I knit another sweater.
Showing steek for arm hole
Cutting the steek open after securing stitches by crocheting both sides of the steek
Very neat

3 kommentarer: