onsdag 19 december 2012

More knitted socks

Knitting socks has almost always been a very relaxing pastime for me - one of the reasons for that is that I always knit the same sort  of socks that I have knitted since I was a child. So I felt I had to leave my comfort zone and at least try some new features in sock knitting. A couple of years ago I bought Ann Budd´s "Getting started knitting socks" but I have to admit that I had not been giving it much attention.

It is a good book for learning how to knit socks. I takes care of all the fundamentals and provides different kinds of rib, stripe, cable and lace patterns. Ann Budd knits her socks on sets of four double-pointed needles. I always use sets of five double-pointed needles (I actually tried to follow her instructions using four needles but had to give up after a while and change to five needles. A life-time habit is not changed while knitting one pair of socks ...) Figuring out how to adapt her patterns to one more needle was not a big issue.

For these socks I used her pattern for "Seeded Rib Socks". Here are some of the things I did that I seldom do otherwise:
- Old Norwegian cast-on. It was years since I used this - WHY??? It is a very good and flexible cast-on that I will remember to use more frequently in my knitting.
- A Moss Rib stitch for the cuff. By habit I always do knit2, purl2 cuffs, have to stop that.
- I used Heel Flap stitches (she has three variations in the book)
- A new way of picking up stitches along the edge of the heel flap (she has three variations in the book)
- I carried the pattern from the cuff along the upper part of the sock

All in all I had great fun and learned a few new things (there is no harm in that) that I will remember. As always, check your gauge. Knowing your gauge makes knitting so much more rewarding.



3 kommentarer:

  1. Roligt att hitta Dig som gör så fina sakaer av Värmlandsfårens ull, och annan ull också för den delen! God Jul!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Tjusiga! På fredag åker vi norrut...ska bli skönt med tystnad och mycket natur. Önskar dig/er en God Jul!
    http://pysselfarmor.bloggplatsen.se/

    SvaraRadera
  3. Njuter i fulla drag av ett vackert julkortslandskap i norr. Här är det så tyst och lugnt att jag nästan får ont i öronen ;-))
    Ska ni åka till Stickstämman i Undersåker? Jag tänker anmäla mig och hoppas att jag kommer med....men jag tänker hänga på låset/tryckknappen klockan 00.00 den 2 januari ;-))

    Ha en härlig nyårsafton och ett väldigt bra Gott Nytt År 2013!
    kramar i massor från Gun
    http://pysselfarmor.bloggplatsen.se/

    SvaraRadera